Teaching Literacies in the Middle Years
Pedagogies and diversity
- Lecturer Resources
- Teacher Resources
- Student Resources
- Sample Pages
Teaching Literacies in the Middle Years addresses a 'hot topic' in education - the teaching of literacy - in relation to the middle years of schooling. It provides the foundations for understanding some of the issues and challenges in working with middle years' students in the current Australian context. All chapters are theoretically grounded in a socio-cultural perspective of literacy. The book demonstrates how teachers might go about teaching literacies in the middle years. It presents ideas, including teaching strategies that are contextualised within the practices of real classrooms and within broader long term goals for literacy learning. It helps pre-service teachers to identify the literacy needs of young people, and to apply their teaching skills to the development of appropriate and effective pedagogies for students from different backgrounds and with different life experiences and expectations.
Teaching Literacies in the Middle Years is also available as an e-book.
Part 1: Engaging Students through Pedagogies
1. Teaching Literacies: Principles and Practices
2. Planning for Literacy Learning
3. Using Digital Texts to Engage Students
4. Popular Culture in the Classroom: A Plethora of Possibilities
Part 2: Ensuring Literacy Learning for All Students
5. (Re)focusing the Lens to Make Diversity and Difference Visible
6. Literacy Learning for Students in Rural Communities
7. Multimodal Literacies: New Approaches and Traditional Concerns in the Suburban Classroom
8. What Could Socially-just Literacy Instruction Look Like?
9. An Holistic Approach for Supporting Written Literacy Skills for EAL/D Learners
10. Valuing Diversity: A Multiliteracies Project in a Remote Indigenous Community
11. Teaching Literacies: Pedagogical Possibilities
Robyn Henderson - Associate Professor and Program Coordinator, Department of Education, University of Southern Queensland
The Oxford Education Hub is the online home to a wealth of resources to help students throughout a pre-service teaching degree. Visit the OEH to access additional literacy resources.