Media and Society
Media and Society
$113.99 NZDAdd To Cart
Other options: Ebook $92.95 AUD $107.99 NZDRequest an inspection copy
Media and Society explores the relationship between the media, their institutions and the world we live in, examining how they are connected and how society and the media affect each other. The book analyses representations of the world found in films, television, advertisements, news and online to understand the impact of the media in the contemporary world.The sixth edition explores several themes throughout the text, including the contradictory nature of the media and the psychological concerns of the media, to provide clear explanations of complex theories and ideas.
New to this Edition:
- New author, Sarah Casey brings experience in digital technologies and social media…
- New chapter 17 on Digital Television and Interactive Narratives exploring emerging and evolving narrative forms including streamed television and interactive gaming.
- New and updated case studies including:
- Self-representation in photographs—‘selfies’
- Television, algorithmic culture and surveillance
- University and students – media, law and humour
- Banksy – street art, anonymity and culture jamming
- UnREAL and reality TV
- Celebrity “activism”: celanthropy, the Half the Sky movement, and the need to be seen to “care”
- Star-celebrity profile: George and Amal Clooney, and the transmission of culture values
- Updated examples to encourage students to reflect further on the issues discussed in each chapter, including:
- Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner at the Victoria’s Secret runway show.
- Bruce Jenner coming out as transgender woman, Caitlyn Jenner.
- Jonathan Thurston sharing a moment of parental intimacy with his daughter during the celebration of the NRL grand final win.
- Kanye West and his Twitter appeal to Mark Zuckerberg to help him financially by investing a billion dollars in his novel business plans.
- Part 1 Getting Ready: The Media
- Defining the Media
- Media Studies
- What Do the Media Do to Us? Media and Society
- What’s in a Name? Language and the Social Construction of Reality
- Mediation and Representation
- Texts, Meanings and Audiences
- New Media and Technological Development Part 2 Pictures: Semiotic Analysis
- Reading Images and Advertisements
- Model Essay: Semiotic Analysis of an Advertisement Part 3 Making Sense: Discourse, Ideology and Hegemony
- Discourse and Ideology
- Dominant Ideology and Hegemony
- Culture Jamming and Counter-hegemony Part 4 Stories: Approaches for Narrative Analysis
- Genres, Codes and Conventions
- The Language of Film: American Beauty
- Narrative Structure and Binary Oppositions
- Digital Television and Interactive Narratives
- Documentary and Reality TV
- Why Stories? Part 5 Media and Identity: Representation, Impact and Influence
- Feminism, Post-feminism and Ideology of Femininity
- Ideologies and Discourses of Masculinity
- Ethnicity, Ideology and the Media
- Stars and Celebrities
- Part 6: But They Keep Moving the Posts: Postmodern and Global Perspectives