5 Jun 2020
$90.00 NZDAdd To Cart Request an inspection copy
A practical, easy to read text on how to teach writing.
Write Ways is a practical, user-friendly text for pre-service and practising teachers. It explains how to teach students to write in all the major text types—not only in English, but across the curriculum—and provides clear, useful examples of classroom practice, planning and assessment.
This book offers a balance of theory and practice, aiming to broaden understanding of text and literature. It encourages students to create and respond to a range of texts, as well as using literature to inspire students to develop as thoughtful, competent and engaged writers.
New to this Edition
- Updated to include Australian Curriculum topic names and current assessment practices
- An increased focus on grammar multiliteracies, literacy practices and teaching focuses at whole text, paragraph, clause, sentence, word group and word level
- Action boxes help students apply the knowledge they have learnt
- Consider and Connect questions prompt students to reflect on related topics and how they connect with their knowledge of writing
- Includes examples of how to use Project Based Learning allowing students to find more meaning in their writing as they are writing authentic texts for real-life purposes.
PART 1: PREPARATION
1 Program Planning
2 Assessment Procedures and Record Keeping
PART 2: LITERACY
3 Literacy, Language and Learning
5 Using texts in meaningful contexts
6 The Reading and Writing Process
PART 3: TEXT TYPES
7 Informative Texts
8 Information Reports
9 Procedural Texts
12 Transactional Texts
13 Persuasive Texts
14 Imaginative Texts
16 Information Narratives
Lesley Wing Jan , Former lecturer and teacher
Susan Taylor , Lecturer, Macquarie University
Lesley Wing Jan
A highly accomplished education consultant with extensive teaching experiences in primary, secondary and tertiary settings.
Primary school teacher who also works with pre-service teachers in Education at Macquarie University.
The following resources are available for lecturers who prescribe Write Ways, fifth edition, for their course:
- Assessment checklists to use as practice for lesson planning
- Sample units that look at specific text types to use as teaching examples with your students.