At Oxford University Press we create Australian education textbooks that student teachers can use during their studies and in practice. Our textbooks focus on teaching students how to be confident and resilient across a diverse range of classroom environments. They cover a broad range of topics, and include popular titles such as Literacy, Leadership and Teaching Mathematics.
Success at university today and in the classroom tomorrow.
Our education textbooks provide student teachers with the skills they need to both succeed at university, while also offering effective teaching techniques to use in the classroom.
Pedagogy rich textbooks full of practical classroom examples.
Strong pedagogy is intergrated throughout our education textbooks to provide a mix of theory and practical examples. These examples along with our supporting academic resources provide you with a wealth of real-life classroom scenarios to use in your teaching.
Education textbooks available in a range of formats at affordable prices.
We understand that everyone studies differently and that textbooks are required for different lengths of time. New titles are published as a print textbook, eBook and 6-month eBook rental providing your students with content flexibility and price choice.
What academics are saying about our education resources
Language, Literacy and Early Childhood Education
"It is the textbook of the first literacy unit our B.Ed. students attend. We have just begun using it and so far it has been positively received. It has a comprehensive and contemporary feel to it."
Andrew Eyers, Lecturer in Education at Deakin University, March 2020
Learning and Teaching in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education
"This is key to students understanding the importance of Indigenous perspectives in their classroom practice. In many cases, there is a burgeoning awareness by students of issues related to Indigenous people. This text is a great introduction to helping them make sense of various issues and their own place in Australian culture/society."
Lecturer at Queensland University of Technology, March 2020
Preparing for the Teaching Profession
"I teach Bachelor of Education, 4th-year students who are preparing to enter the teaching profession. This book answers the questions students have as they prepare to enter the teaching profession and apply for teaching positions. Every chapter and every sentence has been well thought through. This book has been very cleverly put together and the authors have a good feel for the needs of the school, the students and for the university prepared graduates who are about to make a significant transition. This book in an invaluable resource."
Richard Johnson, Senior Lecturer, School of Education at RMIT University, October 2020
Find an Oxford education textbook to match your teaching needs
Preparing for the Teaching Profession
- Addresses the uncertainties and anxiety that pre-service teachers may feel about their preparedness to enter the profession
- Focuses on the key principles that pre-service teachers need to know to navigate the challenges they will encounter in the profession, such as their transition from completing their degree to their first year of employment.
- Provides pre-service teachers with the resources and information they need to prepare for the classroom
- New pedagogical structure that allows for easy navigation and aligns with how mathematics education is taught
- Author knowledge combines effectively with the book's features to help pre-service teachers develop a deep understanding of mathematics teaching and learning.
Professional Communication for Early Childhood Educators
- Designed to support educators develop effective communication skills in order to maintain strong relationships with the children, families, colleagues, and professional and community stakeholders they work with on a day-to-day
- Custom-made videos of professional communication skills in action prompt students to reflect on key concepts discussed and consider these in their own contexts.
Practical Classroom Assessment
- Demonstrates how and why assessment should be firmly embedded in the day-to-day practices of learning and teaching
- Addresses the growing need for data analysis by showing students how to use data to inform their assessment practice.
Learning to Teach
- Offers a unique perspective by positioning the reader as a pre-service teacher embarking on their new career
- Examines current government initiatives and regulations while developing the reader’s ability to analyse scenarios, critically reflect whilst developing best teaching practices.
- A practical and user-friendly text for pre-service and practising teachers
- Provides clear, useful examples of classroom practice, planning and assessment
- Increased focus on grammar multiliteracies, literacy practices, whole text, paragraph, clause, sentence, word group and word level.
Powers of Curriculum
- Explores education in Australia today through the notion and practices of curriculum
- Complex sociological and philosophical concepts are made accessible to pre-service teachers
- Equips students to make a positive difference in the lives of children and young people.
Learning and Teaching in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education
- Helps pre-service teachers prepare for teaching Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students in urban, remote and rural schools
- Balances educational theory with practical teaching strategies
- Includes case studies and personal stories from a range of voices.
Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Develops a deep understanding of how teaching, learning and assessment are inextricably linked with curriculum and holistic education
- Draws on well-researched and well-grounded fields of study into teaching effectiveness
- Incorporates a wide range of tools to help teach critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Teaching and Learning
- Introduces the principles of teaching across the early childhood, primary and middle years of school
- Covers the journey to becoming a teacher and how to transition from pre-service to practice
- Includes practical exercises, practicum tasks, phase-specific learning activities and teaching tips.
Curriculum and Assessment
- Develops a solid understanding of how theoretical considerations relate to the practicalities of teaching curriculum.
- Equips students with the knowledge of how to use curriculum and assessment to create rich and ongoing learning experiences.
Language, Literacy and Early Childhood Education
- A comprehensive textbook on language and literacy development in early childhood
- Includes explicit links to the EYLF and the Australian Curriculum
- Based on current research and theoretical perspectives, and includes practical strategies and activities.
Teaching Health and Physical Education in Early Childhood and the Primary Years
- A practical toolbox of strategies to teach Health and Physical Education in Early Childhood Education and Care and primary school contexts
- Links to the AITSL standards and aligns with the Australian Curriculum: HPE and the EYLF
- Includes critical investigation activities, reflection questions and case studies.
Child Development and Learning
- A theoretical, practical and planning guide to understanding child development and learning
- It takes a holistic approach, incorporating age ranges from infancy to adolescence
- Includes up-to-date research while also offering practical applications.
The Child in Focus
- An all-round introduction for students beginning an early childhood education program
- Contemporary content, with a strong emphasis on the development of critical reflection and adaptability to respond to increasingly complex social and family issues.
Mathematics in Early Childhood Education
- A comprehensive guide to early childhood mathematics education
- Explores mathematics in a range of early childhood settings, including home, playgroup, childcare, preschool and school
- Balances theoretical perspectives with strong practical examples and teacher guidance.
Learning Through Play
- Translates the theory of play into practice
- Aims to create a shared understanding of play and play-based pedagogies that positively influence the everyday practices of educators
- Seamlessly integrates the Australian Curriculum, government policy and current trends.
- Challenge your students to think and question the way they look at leadership
- Assists students and practitioners to critically understand and actively engage with the macro and micro contexts within which they may work as intentional leaders.
Play in Early Childhood Education
- An essential introduction to the theories, professional practices and government policies behind play
- Examines the rapidly changing contexts in which children are raised and educated
- Demonstrates diverse approaches to play-based learning while considering new insights and possibilities.
Diversity in the Early Years
- Explores significant aspects of working with children and adults from diverse backgrounds
- Raises awareness about issues of diversity in a global context and helps pre-service teachers develop their own pedagogical approaches to working with diverse populations
- Blends discussion of theory and application allowing readers to apply what they've learnt to real-world contexts.
Investigating Mathematics, Science and Technology in Early Childhood
- Provides clear explanations and practical examples of mathematical, scientific and technological concepts to help pre-service teachers confidently prepare for practice
- Looks at how young children develop understandings of these topics through everyday play and investigation.
Inclusive Education in the Early Years
- A comprehensive introduction to the key concepts of inclusion, disability and inclusive education in the early years
- Explores critical aspects in relation to fostering inclusive language and communication, enabling social interactions and supporting positive behaviour development.
Numeracy in Early Childhood
- Assists pre-service teachers in developing favourable attitudes to maths both for themselves and in their students
- Focuses on using everyday language and objects, and provides practical models and guides to facilitate numeracy education.
- The most comprehensive text for pre-service teachers to learn how to teach literacy
- Covers the whole literacy curriculum: reading, writing, speaking, listening and viewing
- Revised and streamlined to create stronger links from education to professional practice.
Australian Literature for Young People
- Explore Australia’s distinctive literary heritage and embrace the very significant role of encouraging children in reading
- Encourages a broad and deep knowledge of this country, its history, people, art and literature
- A comprehensive, research-based approach drawing on contemporary sources.
An Introduction to Speech, Language and Literacy
- Provides readers with a theoretical understanding of speech, language and literacy acquisition, and the ability to apply this understanding to individuals of different ages and developmental stages
- Authors draw on their professional practice to describe cases that are illustrative of the chapter content and its real-world application.
- Introduces pre-service teachers to the foundations of grammar
- Provides solid coverage of the parts of speech, phrases, clauses, and punctuation
- Equips readers with a range of skills and strategies to apply to their own writing and classroom teaching.
The Grammar Handbook
- An essential reference for English grammar, punctuation and usage
- Demonstrates the function of grammar in a broad range of informative, imaginative and persuasive text types
- Provides clear definitions and examples to show how language works.
Language, Literacy and Literature
- Combines concepts of language, literature and literacy within a pedagogical framework that leads readers through a series of learning processes
- Includes practical exercises and activities to assist in building habits of reflexive practice.
Teaching, Learning and Psychology
- Discover how to promote well-being in the classroom
- Introduces pre-service teachers to the key concepts and theories in fostering positive learning experiences
- A comprehensive, up-to-date text that covers a wide range of contemporary psychological issues.
Diversity, Inclusion and Engagement
- A clear, socially oriented approach to understanding and developing inclusion in education
- Encourages pre-service teachers to develop strategies to engage students of all backgrounds, needs and abilities in a diverse classroom
- Focuses on the use of technology in the classroom to support diverse learner needs.
Children, Families and Communities
- Focuses on child development within the Australian context and the factors that influence this development
- Structured to mirror the contextual layers described in Bronfenbrenner’s bioecological model
- Endeavours to reflect contemporary thinking, current theory and research, as well as topical issues.
Understanding Development and Learning
- An educational psychology text on how pre-service teachers can use its principles to foster learning
- Features contemporary research, such as neuroscience, at the nexus of learning and development alongside traditional theories
- Incorporates theoretical and practical content related to the socio-environmental factors that impact on development, behaviour and learning.
Social Research Methods
- A beginner’s guide to Australian and New Zealand social research practices
- Develops a broad and comparative understanding of the major contemporary social research methods
- Includes new chapters and expands on difficult areas to encourage students to develop a set of practical research skills.
Maths Skills for Success at University
- An easy-to-use guide to help students prepare for the essential mathematics skills they need to succeed at university
- Full of Australian examples preparing students for the maths they will encounter in everyday life and while studying.
Communication Skills Guidebook
- A concise guidebook that equips students with the essential academic and communication skills they need to succeed at university
- Outlines how to write a good essay, construct a sound argument, and present research findings
- Includes tips and examples including common assignment instructions.
- An engaging and accessible introduction to the broad field of educational research
- Thoroughly covers the basic principles, imperatives and theoretical approaches, and offers practical strategies for tackling the necessary processes and procedures.
Essential Academic Skills
- A step-by-step approach to the core skills of finding sources, reading, writing, listening, speaking and researching within a university context.
- Comprehensive coverage of the essential assessment skills needed for success at university
- Academic language support relevant to all university study and specific for each skill.
Creating a Positive Learning Environment
- A practical guide to building confidence and well being in the classroom
- Explores four areas of classroom management — Proactive, Interactive, Restorative and Supportive
- Clearly outlines the theory, practical strategies, skills and techniques that every graduate teacher needs to know.
Partnerships in the Early Years
- Explores the connections that early years educators build with families and communities in the context of supporting children's learning
- Aims to build commitment to creating responsive, collaborative and trusting relationships
- Equips students with the practical skills needed to build meaningful partnerships.
Teaching Humanities and Social Sciences in the Primary School
- A comprehensive overview of how to teach in the humanities and social sciences areas of the curriculum
- Updated to cover the Australian Curriculum HASS F-6/7 changes while also aligning with state curriculums
- Provides practical strategies and contemporary teaching techniques for pre-service teachers to take into the classroom.
Connecting with Science Education
- Learn how to teach science creatively by connecting theory to practice
- Meets the requirements of the Australian Curriculum while incorporating STEM and Indigenous science knowledge
- Practical classroom-based activities stimulates curiosity about science.
- A practical, step-by-step guide to improving skills in analysis, critical thinking, and the effective communication of arguments and explanations
- Provides detailed advice on how to practice better analytical skills and demonstrates how these skills can be used in research and writing
- Emphasises how to develop arguments that are coherent and take account of their audience and context.
The Research Process
- A concise and approachable introduction to research
- Guides students through the research process, analysing and demonstrating a variety of research methods
- Assumes no prior knowledge of research and takes a non-statistical, non-mathematical approach.